A Historic Legacy
Old Governor's Mansion, 1798 - 1998
1998 Commemorative Derby Poster
Governor and Mrs. Paul E. Patton
Acrylic painting by Jim Hoffmann
(The children depicted in the left foreground are Chase, Judith Paige, and Jan Johnson, Jr., grandchildren of Governor and Mrs. Paul Patton.)
Governor and Mrs. Paul Patton chose to honor Kentucky's Old Governor's Mansion on the commemorative Derby poster this year in celebration of the 200th anniversary of the 1798 completion of the house. When Kentucky became a state in 1792, there was no official residence for Kentucky's chief executives. The General Assembly appropriated funds to build the house in 1796, and James Garrard, our second governor, took up residence there in November, 1798. Two future governors, Robert Letcher and Thomas Metcalfe, helped build "The Palace", as the building was known in the early years. Built during the Federal period, the house has Georgian architectural details. Many dignitaries, including Andrew Jackson, Henry Clay, Theodore Roosevelt, and Woodrow Wilson, have visited the mansion. In 1914, a new Governor's Mansion replaced this house as the official residence of Kentucky's governors. Governor and Mrs. Patton are former residents of the Old Mansion, which has served as the residence of Kentucky's lieutenant governors since 1956. Lieutenant Governor Stephen L. Henry is the current resident of the Old Governor's Mansion.
Mrs. Patton has again commissioned artist Jim Hoffmann to create an original painting for the Governor's commemorative Derby poster. Mr. Hoffmann received his degree in art from Western Kentucky University and has served in state government's Division of Creative Services for the last seven years. "A Historic Legacy" marks Hoffmann's third original Derby painting for the Pattons.
An endowment fund has been established to renovate the interior of the Old Governor's Mansion and construct a garden area between the new history center and the mansion. If you have an interest in being a sponsor or donating to these projects, please contact us at 502-564-5500 or mail your donation to:
Old Mansion Endowment
420 High Street
Frankfort, Kentucky 40602