2018 Summer Library Program/Summer Reading Program Deadline: Monday, October 1, 2018
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives (KDLA) asks all Kentucky Public Libraries to report on their Summer Library Programs (SLPs) or Summer Reading Programs (SRPs).
Your participation in the 2018 Kentucky SLP/SRP Evaluation will help KDLA, supporting state partners, and the
Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP) to provide the most useful resources and support in the future.
Your survey responses also help KDLA tell the important story of how summer programs and activities at public libraries positively influence children, teens, families, adults, and communities; these stories directly influence the resources and support the agency receives from both state and federal government.
The survey will be open from mid-May through the end of September. A link will be posted to the KDLA Director’s listserv, KYAC listserv, and will appear on KDLA’s
Summer Reading Program page. Please help achieve a 100% response rate for 2018!
We know your time is limited and valuable. As a thank you for participating in this voluntary survey, KDLA will provide your library with one (1) digital copy, via USB flash drive, of the upcoming
2019 CSLP Summer Reading Program Manual. Manuals are expected to arrive and will be distributed through conferences and training opportunities later this fall.
Here is a
summary of the questions on the survey (PDF). Review these questions, and track your SRP activities accordingly if possible. The survey should take you as little as 20 minutes if you have your data and information ready.
2018 Summer Reading Program Evaluation Preview:
- Library contact information
- Did your library offer a summer reading/library program in 2018 for children? Teens? Adults?
- How many children/teens/adults participated?
- How many children/teens/adults completed (if you define/track completion)?
- What was the total attendance at your children’s, teen, adult, and all-ages library programs held during SLP/SRP?
- Did you use the 2018 CSLP theme?
- Please rate various statewide/CSLP services and products
- Did your library participate in the Summer Food Service Program?
- What was the total number of items circulated from your library collection during your 2017 Summer Reading Program? Please include physical and electronic items, as well as bookmobile and outreach collection items if applicable.
- What are the changes you made/how does your Summer Reading Program work now, as compared to previous years? What inspired your library to make these changes?
- Would you be willing to collaborate with KDLA to share your library's Summer Reading Program at a state conference or in a webinar?
Notes on completing the survey:
- Please have all data with you before beginning to fill out the survey, as the program requires survey completion in one sitting. Once you begin the survey, you will not be able to save your responses and return to them later. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- When you are reporting numerical data, please enter numbers into the response boxes, not words. E.g., “2” not “two” and “0” not “none” or “zero”.
- When you are reporting numerical data, please enter one number into the response box, not a range of numbers. E.g., when reporting program attendance, do not enter “approx. 80-100”; instead, please choose one number to enter.
- Most, but not all, questions require a response. Please do your best to provide feedback, even if it is a critique of how KDLA can better capture data or provide support. Ultimately, if a question does not apply to you, please respond with “N/A”.
We will also again collect anecdotes and photos from libraries, to share statewide to demonstrate the positive impact of public library summer reading programs. Photos may be used in a new Kentucky SRP multimedia report. Photos and stories may also be used in presentations, print, and/or online publications that communicate the importance of libraries for summer enrichment and literacy support. I encourage you to share your photos and stories with KDLA, so we can show off your summer activities and their benefits.
If you would like assistance in advance of completing the survey, please contact Library Development Youth Services Consultant, Krista King-Oaks to schedule a one-on-one appointment by June 25:
email@example.com. After this date, please contact Library Development Branch Manager, Nikole Wolfe:
Survey Instructions (PDF)
Fill Out the Survey