Fire codes can be complex, and professional advice is usually needed to make sure that a library is fully compliant. The local fire department is often a good place to start if you have a question.
Storage is a place where a library can become non-compliant over time. Below are a few guidelines to help keep your building safe. Remember that if you have any specific questions, please contact your KDLA Regional Consultant or your local fire department:
• In an unsprinklered room, leave 24" clear from ceiling.
- In a sprinklered room, leave 18" clear from bottom of sprinkler heads
- Shelving in the center of a room should follow the above guidelines
- Wall shelving in a storage room can go full height, to the ceiling
- Keep all combustible materials at least 36" away from furnaces, boilers, water heaters, etc.
- Maintain a 36" wide clear path from the door to all electrical panels
- For more information, visit https://dhbc.ky.gov/.