The board delegates responsibility to the director for policy interpretation, issuance of procedural directives, and guidelines not specifically covered or detailed in the board’s policy manual. Such interpretations, rules and directives to the staff and public have the force of board regulations unless and until superseded by board action.
The board of trustees recognizes and maintains the following guidelines in the board’s relationship with the director:
- Good management is recognized as one of the key factors in the success of the library. The board reserves the authority to establish policies, approve plans and programs, and delegate authority to the director.
- The board will delegate authority to the director to execute and carry out the board-approved policies, plans, and programs. The director will be responsible for hiring capable personnel within the limitations of board policy and budget constraints, determining the appropriate compensation, training, supervising, disciplining, and terminating as necessary.
- Board members will refrain from individually discussing management and personnel issues with personnel other than the director. The board, in consultation with the director, may confer with key personnel at regular or special meetings of the board.
- Authority for management of the library will be through the board of trustees to the director, then to other personnel. The director will give the board full and timely information concerning pertinent matters that relate to the management of library.
- Efficient management of the library can exist only through mutual understanding and cooperation between the board and the director. The director is accountable to the board to show results, but the director cannot perform well and show good results if not given latitude to exercise independent judgment in executing board policy. Therefore, the board grants that latitude of judgment and discretion and expects full accounting of performance from the director.
- The board is the employer of the director and will be responsible for a systematic annual evaluation of the director’s performance. The evaluation will be for the purpose of improving the director’s performance and to provide a basis for consideration of the director’s salary for the next year.