State government employees can download digital audiobooks and ebooks due to a partnership agreement with Kentucky Libraries Unbound (KLU). Members of the general public should check with their
local public libraries about downloadable digital resources available to them.
You may download resources over the Internet using your home computer or personal devices. If you want to download titles at work, you must adhere to your agency’s IT policies. You cannot use any library's public computers to download titles.
Before you start:
You must have a valid State Library account to download titles. If you need to sign up for an account,
If you have lost your account number, contact the Reference desk through
Ask a Librarian or by calling 502.564.8306 or 800.928.7000.
Getting Started in KLU:
Kentucky Libraries Unbound
Set up/Login to your account (look for “Account” in the top right hand corner).
Select “KY Dept for Libraries and Archives” as your library. When prompted, enter your State Library account number and password.
Getting ready to download:
Audiobooks: Install the
OverDrive's desktop app on your computer
Ebooks: Install Adobe Digital Editions on your computer
Kindle books: You will need a free Amazon account, Kindle device or the Kindle reading app
Use the “Help” link in the top right hand corner for more detailed instructions. Select the OverDrive Help tab for how-to videos on getting started and downloading titles.
Finding a title:
- Option 1: You can search for downloadable titles in the
KDLA Catalog using the format Ebooks or eAudiobooks options. Use the "View Online" tab to see your selected title in
Kentucky Libraries Unbound.
- Option 2: Browse or search the
- When you select a title, click on the "Borrow" tab. Choose the download format option or the “Read (in your browser)” feature.
- Once the download is complete, you can open the title on your computer or, if allowed, you can transfer the title to a compatible player.
Placing a Hold:
- If your selection is not immediately available, reserve it by clicking the “Place a Hold” tab.
- When prompted, provide your name and email address. Be sure to give an email address that you check frequently, especially on weekends and/or holidays.
- You will receive an email when the title becomes available. You have 48 hours (exactly) from the time you receive the notice to check out the title.
Returning Downloadable Titles:
- At the end of the loan period, titles expire and are automatically "returned".
- Some titles can be returned before they expire.
- You may be able to renew a title from your Checkouts page within 3 days of the title’s expiration date if there are no other hold requests.
- Delete expired files from your computer.
Finding Help - Troubleshooting